National Pet Week
National Pet Week takes place from May 4th to May 10th. During this week, we as pet owners celebrate more than 200 million pets that enrich our lives each and every day. National Pet Week celebrates this bond and encourages pet owners to be certain they provide their best friend with all they need for a happy, healthy life every week of the year.
Keeping pets healthy requires teamwork. As a pet owner, you can partner with your veterinarian to help your pet live the happiest, healthiest life possible. Owning a pet is a privilege, but the benefits of pet ownership come with responsibilities.
Ways to be a responsible pet owner:
Commit – commit to the relationship for the life of your pet
Invest – Recognize that pet ownership requires an investment in time and money.
Obey – obey all local ordinances, including licensing, leash requirements and noise control
Identify – Make sure your pet is properly identified such as with tags and microchips
Prepare – prepare for an emergency or disaster, including assembling an evacuation kit.
Things you can do to keep your pet healthy –
- Keep your pet at a healthy weight.
- Exercise your pet.
- Feed your pet a balanced, nutritious diet.
- Have your veterinarian examine your pet at least once a year to make sure your pet is healthy and to detect problems earlier.
- Vaccinate your pet against potentially deadly diseases.
- Keep your pet free of parasites such as fleas, ticks, heartworms, and intestinal parasites.
- Spay/neuter your pet.